Carbon Monoxide (CO) is the silent killer; it’s odorless, invisible to the eye, and strikes quickly. Its symptoms are similar to the flu, meaning most people don’t even realize what happened until they are in the hospital. As winter continues, the risk of CO exposure in your home rises. Every year, more than 50,000 people go to the emergency room because of CO poisoning, with an average of 400 of those visits turning fatal.

Has a physician diagnosed you or a loved one with CO poisoning? If so, call Raigan and Cook P.C., Montana’s choice for carbon monoxide poisoning lawyers, to schedule a case review as you may be due damages.

What Is CO?

This gas has no smell and is invisible. It’s a by-product of burning various fossil fuels, including natural gas. Car exhaust is the most prevalent source around, however a gas range or furnace may emit this gas as well. Incorrectly adjusted appliances or poor ventilation can lead to high levels of CO, which enters the blood stream in place of oxygen. The result, if untreated, is asphyxiation.

Who Is At Risk of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

CO can poison anyone; however, some populations are more susceptible. This includes unborn babies, small infants, the elderly, the sick, or those with persistent respiratory problems.

What Are The Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

The most common signs someone to look for to determine if someone is suffering from CO poisoning are as follows:

  1. Continuous, severe head pain or dizziness; often affects multiple people
  2. Nausea, vomiting, or fatigue
  3. Lack of these symptoms being present when people are removed from the building in question

If you suspect someone has CO poisoning, get the person out of the building and call the poison control center (1-800-222-1222) or 911.

CO Prevention

You can stop CO poisoning from happening in your home by taking a few simple steps.

  1. Service gas, oil, wood, or coal-burning appliances or systems annually.
  2. Install certified CO monitors on every level of your home. If possible, have these connected to a security monitoring system to improve your safety.
  3. Check CO monitor batteries regularly. If the monitor beeps intermittently, replace the batteries.
  4. Test the monitor at least once a month. Be sure to alert anyone in the home and your security company, if necessary, of your test.
  5. Clear heavy snowfall from exhaust stacks, vents, and air intakes.
  6. If the monitor alarm goes off, do not ignore it. Evacuate immediately and call for help.
  7. Do not heat your home with a gas oven. Do not burn anything in a wood stove or fireplace without proper ventilation.
  8. Keep all generators, charcoal grills, camp stoves, or other fossil-fuel burning devices outside your home.
  9. Do not leave a car running while it is inside a closed garage, especially if it is an attached garage.

If you or a loved one went to the hospital because of CO poisoning, contact Raigan and Cook P.C. for a free consultation. A negligent party may owe you compensation, and our team is ready to help fight for the best outcome possible for you.