Heenan & Cook, PLLC, has built its repertoire of personal injury knowledge through more than four decades of experience in Montana. In this time, we’ve focused almost exclusively on personal injury law. This gives us the concentrated familiarity with these claims clients need for the strongest cases. We handle a wide range of personal injury case types, from workplace accidents to violent crimes. If you don’t see your accident type in the following list, contact us. We most likely represent your type of injury.
Personal Injury Cases We Represent in Billings, MT
- Auto accidents (including public transportation accidents). There were more than 22,734 total crashes reported during the latest year in Montana. Auto accidents commonly result in serious injuries and are often caused by the careless actions of other drivers.
- Child injuries. Child injuries often occur due to the careless or negligent actions of school or daycare staff. They can also occur due to defective products and dangerous property conditions.
- Medical malpractice. Medical mistakes are the third leading cause of death in the United States and can include misdiagnoses, medication mistakes, surgical and anesthesia errors, birth injuries, and emergency room errors.
- Nursing home abuse. Abuse in nursing homes is prevalent and can include physical, mental, financial, and sexual elderly abuse. This can also include neglect of an elderly resident’s basic needs for food, water, medical care, and clothing.
- Premises liability (including dog bites). Property owners have a duty to ensure the safety of their premises for guests. Failing to do so can lead to unsafe conditions such as slip and fall hazards, unsafe staircases, uneven or cracked sidewalks, loose animals, or negligent security.
- Product liability. Defective products can lead to serious injuries and illnesses for consumers. Products are often defective due to a design flaw, a manufacturing error, or a marketing/labeling mistake.
- Violent crimes. Those who are harmed due to the violent actions of another person may be able to recover compensation through a civil personal injury lawsuit, regardless of whether there are criminal charges related to the case or not.
- Workplace injuries. Employers have a duty to ensure that their workers are reasonably safe and that they have the proper training and equipment to perform their duties. Often, workers’ compensation claims are denied, and injured workers are left with major medical bills and lost income.
- Wrongful death. Families of those who are killed due to the careless or negligent actions of another person, company, or entity are often entitled to significant compensation.
How is Negligence Determined in Billings, Montana?
Determining liability comes down to proving negligence. Negligence is a legal theory that refers to the failure to use reasonable care in doing something, resulting in another person’s injury or other damage. Negligence can take many shapes and forms, according to the situation. Anything that a reasonable and prudent person would or would not have done in a similar circumstance could constitute negligence in the state of Montana.
Common Examples of Negligence in Billings Personal Injury Accidents
- Distracted or dangerous driving. Distracted and negligent drivers cause thousands of serious personal injuries and deaths in Montana every year. It is every driver’s legal duty to reasonably prevent injuries to others on the roadway. Failure to do so, causing a car accident, is negligence. Common examples include drunk driving, drowsy driving, texting and driving, speeding, and ignoring the right-of-way.
- Lack of property maintenance. Premises liability claims arise when a landowner negligently cares for the property, resulting in hazards such as slip-and-fall risks, property defects, malfunctioning equipment, dangerous staircases, loose animals, exposed wires, toxic substances, and uncovered swimming pools. The owner will be liable if his/her negligence caused the accident in question.
- Medical negligence (malpractice). Medical malpractice describes the failure of a health care practitioner or facility to adhere to the accepted standards of patient care in the medical industry. Inadequate patient care, misdiagnoses, medication errors, surgical mistakes, birth injuries, and malfunctioning medical equipment are all examples of health risks that should not exist under reasonable circumstances.
If you’re not sure whether someone else’s negligence played an integral role in your or a loved one’s recent accident and injuries, consult with our attorneys to find out. We’ll listen to your side of the story, review your medical records, and learn as much as we can about your case. Then, we’ll help you determine the defendant(s) we believe are liable for your damages.
Next, we’ll file your personal injury claim against the negligent person or entity within Montana’s three-year statute of limitations. Your financial future could depend on the lawyer you choose as your representation.
What Type of Compensation is Available for a Billings, MT Personal Injury Claim?
There are various types of compensation available for personal injury claims. While no two cases are the same, the following are often awarded in a personal injury settlement or jury verdict:
- Coverage of medical expenses (past, current, and future)
- Recovery of lost wages if you are unable to work
- Loss of future earning potential
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
In cases of gross negligence, punitive damages may be awarded. These damages are designed as punishment for the person who caused the injury and to deter future similar behavior.
The total amount of compensation awarded in a personal injury claim will vary from case to case. Settlement amounts depend on a variety of factors, including the severity of the injury, the total cost of medical bills, the level of pain and suffering, and more.
What are the Most Common Types of Injuries a Person Sustains in a Billings, MT Personal Injury Claim?
The types of injuries we represent in these cases vary widely. It is not uncommon for our Billings personal injury lawyers to represent clients who have sustained the following:
- Broken and dislocated bones
- Severe lacerations
- Internal organ damage
- Internal bleeding
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
In many work injury cases, we also help clients who are suffering from repetitive stress injuries, hearing and vision loss, respiratory illnesses, and certain occupational cancers.
Contact Our Billings Personal Injury Attorney Today
The key to obtaining the compensation you are legally entitled to is to enlist the aid of a Billings personal injury attorney who is well-versed in investigating the facts, gathering critical evidence and documenting losses, whether medical or property damage, and who will truly be a strong ally in your corner.
Our lawyers are passionate about helping victims of personal injury accidents in Billings. We know exactly how to assess these cases, gather evidence, and provide effective legal counsel. We may be able to help you obtain fair compensation for your damages. Let us help you get back on your feet after a personal injury disaster. Learn more about how we could help your family during a free consultation at our local law office.